Wednesday, May 11, 2016


Last Thursday, I had a hysteroscopy with polypectomy. To be honest, the build up was far worse than the actual procedure. I was scheduled for 1:35 pm and had to arrive at the hospital at noon. No food after midnight and no drink after 9:30. I was registered and back in the room by 12:30ish, I think. At first, they didn't let Mike come with me. I was feeling super anxious so I was not happy about this. After changing and submitting to the indignity of a pregnancy test (yeah right), they finally brought him back to the room ... at which point the nurse talked him into going to the cafe! She literally pestered him into going. After he left, she said something like, "Now you guys don't have to just sit here and stare at each other." What? Thankfully, he made it a quick trip and even brought me his bag of chips for after. If that isn't love, I don't know what is :)

Anyway, around this time, we were told that the doctor was running an hour and a half behind. For me, this was just extra time for my mind to run wild with anxiety. I asked as many questions as I could of the anesthesiologist and the doctor when I got my five minutes pre-op with them, but I was still a nervous wreck. I did my best to distract myself by watching HGTV.
Tired, hungry, anxious, and sweating profusely in that itchy gown.
The attached tube was blowing cool air into my gown.
My awesome non-slip socks
Finally, they were ready for me and the nurse walked me to the OR. Yes, walked ... I found it very odd. Once I was situated on the table, they started the IV ... the whole process of being put to sleep scares me ... and I remember giggling nervously, saying "This is kind of scary," and thinking that this must be how someone being put to death feels. I have no idea how that popped into my head.

Next thing I knew, I was waking up. Based on the texts Mike sent my family, the surgery lasted maybe 20-25 minutes. The doctor told Mike that it took him 19 seconds to remove the polyps (I had two). So specific!
Good riddance! Mike said the doctor told him they were only a cm or two.
I was in very little pain when I woke up ... some low back pain and some cramping, but not even close to the pain of period cramps. They gave me some pain meds in my IV, but I have not needed anything other than ibuprofen since then. I felt drunk and lethargic from the anesthesia that day and was lacking in energy over the weekend, but recovery has been surprisingly easy.

Another obstacle cleared ... now we wait for the next cycle to begin!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm glad it's over and I'm glad they let Mike come back to the room with you. Bizarre that wasn't the norm. You're such a trouper! Thanks for blogging and keeping me in the loop!