Saturday, June 4, 2016

Back in the Saddle

I had my baseline ultrasound for this cycle on Wednesday. Everything looked fine (no large cysts), so we started our last try with injectables that night. I did have a good talk with the doctor while I was in there. The doctors at this practice rotate who covers infertility patients, so I often see a different doctor each time I go in. I hadn't seen this particular doctor since 2015 sometime. He opened with "Looks like you've been through a lot lately" which I actually really appreciated because half the time these doctors are so busy that I feel like they are catching up on my chart while they are in the room with me ("Now what cycle is this for you?", "Have we tried this med on you?", etc). Anyway, I told him that this would be our last cycle before moving to IVF and he agreed that that was the right decision. It was a bit of a relief to have someone affirm this path since I often wonder if I'm just being impatient and should give meds-only more tries. He did say that maybe having the polyps removed will make all the difference for us since sometimes polyps can act like IUDs. I'm not holding my breath.

So once again, I left their office with prescription in-hand needing medication same-day. Can you guess what happened? That's right ... me sitting in the car for an hour in the Walgreen's parking lot on the phone with insurance. This happened despite the fact that I called insurance several weeks prior to try to get everything sorted out so I wouldn't have to go through this again. I talked to someone who sounded very young and I guess he was, and inexperienced as well, because he had assured me that I had an unlimited override which, come to find out on Wednesday, I did not. Ugh. (To give him some credit, though, he did manage to get me reimbursed for that $1K I paid out of pocket). After having a meltdown on the phone, I was finally able to get my meds and go home. I had to call them back again, however, because I know I will be in the same situation on Monday. I eventually got someone from Fertility on the phone and they said that "Most doctors will just send in prescriptions beforehand." So there you have it ... they have built a system that requires doctors to write prescriptions for patients before they have even seen them. I am honestly out of words for how stupid this is. I called my doctor's nurse and asked if she could get him to write me a prescription for more medication and send it in by Friday so that they could ship it to me and it would arrive by Monday (my next appt). Supposedly, this occurred.  "Supposedly" because I tried to log in to the specialty drug website and my account could not be found. Monday might be another shit-show.

Another wrinkle to this cycle is that Mike is out of town for work from Sunday until Thursday evening. Last cycle, it took them two weeks of injectables to get my follicles ready, so I wasn't too worried at first, but the doctor is using what they know about how I reacted last time to speed things up this time. He said that it is better for the follicles to mature faster. I told him that Mike is out of town, so he is going to try to drag things out until then. A house without Mike also means that I will have to give myself shots for the first time. I am quite nervous about this. Mike said we will practice tonight while he's here and hopefully, it won't be as bad as I think. Regardless, I'm going to have to just suck it up and do it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, girl, you have been through a lot lately. Damn. Just getting the medicine, barring all the emotional stuff from what you are actually going through, is a lot. Consider yourself virtually hugged! XXXX

    ReplyDelete